Monday 31 May 2010

Plan B!

Everything was in place for my first trip to Wales, this was some 'proper' clipped in XC riding, something I was well over due for.  Everything that is, except the British weather!
So me and my XC expert guide Rebecca hatched a consolation, plan B, Thetters.
OK, I realise that this is a small consolation prize, a bit like when contestants on game shows think they've won the car, but go home with a fondue set!  None the less we were going to be riding and that always brings a smile to my face.

Now there's no denying that the east of England is flat, so this meant for a lot of pedaling with no huge rewards of flying down some twisty fast descents, but the red route offered some very well built trails, weaving in and out the tree's, with tight lines through the forest, small fun little berms and rollers, on the whole just damn good fun, all 11 miles of it.

My first time using SPD's and only one calamity, the classic moment when your bike rolls to a halt and you think you can just put your foot down, but no, you fall over sideways to the amusement of onlookers!

Think I also had a little wake up call as to how unfit I am.  Rebecca was leaving me for dust through most of the sections, I think I am to used to riding though the Forest with my son at a more leisurely pace.  I needed to attack those trails to get the most out of them, so now I'm upping the game, maybe I wasn't quite ready for Wales in that respect.

Next time Wales....next time!

No comments: