Tuesday 11 May 2010

The re-education of a thirty something

I asked my mum once why she never really pushed me when it came to my school work "well" she said "you were so happy playing out and riding your bike".

For a while I found this answer frustrating, I thought, surely she would want what's best for me? But that's the bit I didn't get, she was giving me what she thought was best for me, a happy care free childhood.

'You don't know what it's like until you've had kids' people say it all the time and boy is it true. I figured she should have tried harder but it just goes against all your natural feeling of well being towards your children, you just don't want to spoil the fun, it's hard to stop your kids from smiling and enjoying themselves.

Well of course there is a better balance which I've found with my son, simply put 'get your studies done and you can go play as much as you like'.

So putting all that behind me, I've found a new hunger to learn, to catch up and educate myself, well they say it's never to late, although I do feel I'm pushing that a little!

It needs to be a subject that I find interesting, I thought, something that I enjoy reading about or following on the internet or TV.  As I was thinking this I had just sat down to watch 'The Blue Planet' having just read some environmental issues featured in the
New Scientist magazine whilst at work.

Bingo! Environmental Science! That's the one!

So I enrolled in a Open Uni course called Introducing the environment, the first small steps to a more 'informed' me and hopefully my studies will continue all the way to a degree....hopefully.

Just over halfway through now and all is going well.  My tutor is more than happy with my work to date, she even likes my writing style!  I have a style!  I though I was just stringing my notes into sentences!  I actually look forward to study time and find it quite relaxing, listening to a little dinner jazz on Jazz FM helps too.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

If you make study and learning fun in the first place tho, you won't have a problem! Telling a kid, if you do your studies you can go out and have fun, just reinforces that study is the boring stuff, and there's better stuff to be had! I'd suggest showing great enthusiasm and excitement for education, then play is just something different from studies rather than something better!

Paul said...

That's a very valid point xebex, thanks. Most of the time the studies are fun, I just try to reinforce the importance of them, that it has priority, simply put 'work before play'