Saturday 26 June 2010

Sabbath bloody Sabbath

It was probably 1995 or there abouts.  I walked into Woolworths one day and browsed through the albums on compact cassette, yep Cassette.
 Now normally what with Woolies being a High street shop to please the masses there would just be the top 40 popular tracks of the day, but on this day things were very different.
There it was, 'Black Sabbaths Greatest hits' for about eight quid!  I got the feeling someone had ordered it and never collected as it was so out of character amongst 'Boyz 11 Men' and frickin 'Celine Dion!'
Since that very day this cassette has been places in the glove box of every car I've owned and played with anger for every road trip and riding journey undertaken by me, me and buddies and now me and my son who is a Sabbath fan
The tape's been borrowed and copied by bike buddies, skate buddies and Sabbath lovers from all corners of the UK.  It's been on Surfing trips, played on the beach pre and post surf sessions late into the night, it's been in stereo's and played on many a half pipe deck, getting people pumped to pull 'that' trick.
The car I drive at the moment still has a cassette player in it.  I play my ipod through a cassette adapter but still punch in the Sabbath tape now and then, it's a little stretched but it's all good and long may it continue, I'm taking that damn tape to the grave.

No comments: